The rosy hued dressing is both creamy and piquant - perfect for crab meat.
2 large cooked crabs
1 head iceberg lettuce
4 large tomatoes
4 hard-boiled eggs
16 black olives
280 ml (1/2 pint) prepared mayonnaise
60 ml (4 tbsps) whipping cream
60 ml (4 tbsps) chilli sauce or tomato chutney
1/2 green pepper, seeded and finely diced
3 spring onions, finely chopped
Salt and pepper
1. To prepare the crabs, break off the claws and set them aside. Turn the crabs over and press up with thumbs to separate the body from the shell of each.
2. Cut the body into quarters and use a skewer to pick out the white meat. Discard the stomach sac and the lungs (dead-man's fingers). Scrape out the brown meat from the shell to use, if desired.
3. Crack the large claws and legs and remove the meat. Break into shreds, discarding any shell or cartilage. Combine all the meat and set it aside.
4. Shred the lettuce finely, quarter the tomatoes and chop the eggs.
5. Combine the mayonnaise, cream, chilli sauce or chutney, green pepper and spring onions and mix well.
6. Arrange the shredded lettuce on serving plates and divide the crab meat evenly.
7. Spoon some of the dressing over each serving of crab and sprinkle with the chopped egg. Garnish each serving with tomato wedges and olives and serve the remaining dressings separately.
3 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!