Calories per serving: 165
low fat cooking spray
1 medium onion, chopped finely
1 garlic clove, crushed
2 teaspoons Italian mixed dried herbs
1 egg, beaten
6 sheets of filo pastry, defrosted
100 g (3 1/2 oz) feta cheese, crumbled
salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 6/ 200°C/fan oven 180°C.
2. Pack the spinach into a large saucepan and cook, without adding any water, for 3-4 minutes until the leaves have wilted. Drain well, squeezing out any excess moisture with the back of a spoon. Cool and chop roughly.
3. Heat a non stick frying pan and spray it with low fat cooking spray. Add the onion and garlic, and saute them gently for 3-4 minutes, until softened. Allow to cool, and then mix in the herbs, egg and spinach. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Lightly spray a baking sheet or Swiss roll tin with low fat cooking spray. Lay 1 sheet of filo pastry on top and lightly spray it with low fat cooking spray. If the pastry sheet is too big, just fold in the edges. Repeat the process with 2 more sheets of filo pastry. Spoon on the filling, spreading it out evenly, and then sprinkle the feta cheese over the top.
5. Lay the remaining pastry sheets over the filling, spraying them with low fat cooking spray as before, and then spray the surface.
6. Bake for 30-35 minutes, until the pastry is golden. Cool for a few minutes, and then cut into six portions.
Top tip Keep filo pastry covered with clingfilm or a damp tea towel as you work to prevent it drying out.
22 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!