175 g (6 oz) cellophane noodles
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1 garlic clove, crushed
2 tsp grated fresh root ginger
24 raw tiger prawns (jumbo shrimp), peeled and deveined
1 red (bell) pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
1 green (bell) pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
1 onion, chopped
2 tbsp light soy sauce
juice of 1 orange
2 tsp wine vinegar
pinch of brown sugar
150 ml (1/4 pint) 2/3 cup fish stock
1 tbsp cornflour (cornstarch)
2 tsp water
orange slices, to garnish
1. Cook the noodles in a pan of boiling water for 1 minute. Drain well, rinse under cold water and then drain again.
2. Heat the oil in a wok and stir-fry the garlic and ginger for 30 seconds.
3. Add the prawns (shrimp) and stir-fry for 2 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and keep warm.
4. Add the (bell) peppers and onion to the wok and stir-fry for 2 minutes. Stir in the soy sauce, orange juice, vinegar, sugar and stock. Return the prawns (shrimp) to the wok and cook for 8 - 10 minutes, until cooked through.
5. Blend the cornflour (cornstarch) with the water and stir into the wok. Bring to the boil, add the noodles and cook for 1-2 minutes. Garnish and serve.
Lime or lemon juice and slices may be used instead of the orange. Use 3 - 5 1/2 tsp of these juices
3 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!