1. Grease a 900 ml (l 1/2 pint) mixing bowl or decorative mould thoroughly with butter or margarine. Put the jam into the bottom of the mould and set aside.
2. Cream the remaining butter or margarine with the sugar until light and fluffy
3. Beat in the eggs one at a time and add the vanilla essence. Sift in the flour and baking powder and then fold in. If the mixture is too stiff, add up to 2 tbsps of milk to make a soft dropping consistency
4. Spoon the mixture carefully on top of the jam and smooth the top. Cover the bowl or mould with 2 layers of cling film, pierced several times to release the steam.
5. Cook for 5-8 minutes on HIGH. Leave to stand for 5-10 minutes before turning out to serve.