serves 4 - 6
4 tbsps oil
l.5 kg (3 lbs) chicken pieces, skinned
1 tsp ground cardamom
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 bay leaf
2 onions, finely chopped
2.5 cm (1 inch) piece fresh ginger, grated
4 cloves garlic, crushed
30 g (1 oz) ground almonds
2 tsps cumin seeds
Pinch cayenne pepper
280 ml (1/2 pint) single cream
6 tbsps natural yoghurt
2 tbsps roasted cashew nuts
2 tbsps sultanas
90 g (3 oz) fresh coriander leaves
1 green chilli pepper, chopped and seeded
1 tbsp lemon juice
Salt and pepper
1 tbsp oil
1/2 tsp ground coriander
1. To prepare the chicken, heat the oil in a large frying pan. Fry the chicken pieces on each side until golden brown.
2. Remove the chicken and set aside. Put the cardamom, cinnamon, bay leaf and cloves into the hot oil and meat juices and fry for 30 seconds. Stir in the onions and fry until soft but not brown.
3. Stir the ginger, garlic, almonds, cumin and cayenne pepper into the onions. Cook gently for 2 - 3 minutes, then stir in the cream.
4. Return the chicken pieces to the pan, along with any juices. Cover and simmer gently for 30-40 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked and tender.
5. Whilst the chicken is cooking, prepare the chutney Put the coriander leaves, chilli, lemon, seasoning and sugar into a blender or food processor and work to a paste.
6. Heat the oil and cook the ground coriander for 1 minute. Add this mixutre to the processed coriander leaves and blend in thoroughly
7. Just before serving, stir the yoghurt, cashews and sultanas into the chicken. Heat through just enough to plump up the sultanas, but do not allow the mixture to boil.
8. Serve at once with the coriander chutney
1 person has helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!