As well as heads of green broccoli, often sold prepacked, you will sometimes find purple sprouting broccoli in the shops. Whichever variety you choose, buy the freshest possible, with no yellowing leaves, and eat within a couple of days. The pastry in this recipe uses rolled oats for an unusual texture.
serves 4 - 6
175 g (6 oz) plain wholemeal flour
50 g (2 oz) porridge oats
salt and pepper
100 g (4 oz) butter
350 g (12 oz) broccoli, trimmed
300 ml (1/2 pint) fresh milk
1. Put the flour, oats and 2.5 ml (1/2 tsp) salt into a bowl. Rub in the butter until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add enough cold water to bind the mixture together and form a firm dough.
2. Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface and use to line a 23 cm (9 inch) flan dish. Bake blind at 200°C (400°F) mark 6 for 10 - 15 minutes, until set but not too brown.
3. Roughly chop the broccoli, then cook in boiling, salted water until just tender. Drain well. Arrange in the flan case.
4. Whisk together the eggs, milk and season to taste. Pour into the flan case, making sure the broccoli is covered.
5. Bake at 190°C (375°F) mark 5 for about 40 minutes, until lightly set. Serve warm.
11 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!