15 g (1/2 oz) butter
1 medium onion, skinned and finely chopped
30 ml (2 tbsp) chopped fresh thyme or mint
75 g (3 oz) fresh wholemeal breadcrumbs
salt and pepper
100 g (4 oz) no-soak dried apricots, finely chopped
1 egg, beaten
1.6 kg (3 1/2 lb) loin of lamb, boned
fresh thyme or mint sprigs, to garnish
1. Melt the butter in a large frying pan. Add the onion and fry for 5 minutes, until softened. Stir in thyme or mint, breadcrumbs and seasoning. Set aside to cool.
2. Add the apricots to the mixture with the egg and mix well together.
3. Lay the meat out flat, fat side down, and spread the stuffing over the lamb.
4. Roll up the meat to enclose the stuffing and tie with strong cotton or fine string at regular intervals. Put the joint in a roasting tin and bake at 180°C (350°F) mark 4 for about 12 hour or until cooked to your liking.
5. To serve, remove the string and carve into thick slices. Garnish with sprigs of fresh thyme or mint.
2 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!