For the Batter - 1 egg - 1 cup ice water - 1 cup all purpose flour.
Beat an egg in a bowl. Add ice water in the bowl. Be sure to use very cold water. Add flour in the bowl and mix lightly. *Do not overmix the batter.
12 giant prawns
2 courgette (zucchini)s
1 2/3 cup (125 g) button mushrooms
1 sheet of nori
Sunflower or safflower oil for deep frying
for the dipping sauce
1 1/2 in (3.5cm) piece root ginger
5 fl oz (150ml) soy sauce
1 quantity Batter
1. If the prawns are whole, remove their heads.
2. Carefully peel off the shells down to the last joint, and leave on the tail fins.
3. De vein them by carefully cutting or pulling out the dark vein that runs down the centre of the back
4. Score four small cuts across the underneath of each prawn and straighten it out.
5. Wash the prawns and pat them dry with kitchen paper: they must be thoroughly dried.
6. Cut the courgettes in half lengthways, and then into 2 in (5 cm) sticks.
7. Wipe the mushrooms and slice them into halves or quarters depending on their size.
8. Slice the onion into very thin rings.
9. Using a pair of sharp scissors, cut the sheet of nori into 1 1/2 X 3 1/2 in (3.5 X 8.5cm) strips
10. To make the dipping sauce, peel and very finely grate the ginger
12. Put the soy sauce into four little dipping bowls and divide the grated ginger between them
13. Make the batter just before you are ready to cook and do not beat or whisk it too much.
14. Before you start to cook, have ready a warmed plate or dish with crumpled kitchen paper on it for draining, and a large warmed serving platter for presenting the finished dish.
15. Heat 2-3in (5 - 7.5 cm.) of oil in a wok until it is hazy but not smoking. To test that it is the correct temperature, drop a cube of bread into the hot oil - it should sizzle up to the surface and brown in seconds.
16. Dip the prawns into the batter, shake off any excess and fry in the oil for about 2 minutes in batches
17. They should be crisp and pale: the light batter does not give an even coating but forms a lovely white bubbly skin.
18. Drain on the kitchen paper and keep warm. Continue in the same way with the courgettes, mushrooms and onion - all of which will need 1 minute's cooking time - and finishing with the (unbattered) nori, which will turn a golden brown.
19. All the frying should be done as quickly as possible, bringing the oil up to the correct temperature again between each batch of cooking.
20. If you wish, you can fry half the ingredients first and serve them, frying the remaining ingredients for a second helping.
21. Arrange the prawns and vegetables attractively on the large warmed serving platter, and use chopsticks or your fingers to dip the pieces in the soy and ginger sauce.