8 oz (225 g) suetcrust pastry
knob of butter
3 tbsp (60 ml) golden syrup (substitute light corn syrup)
1 level tbsp (15 ml) soft dark brown sugar
3 oz (75 g) currants
1/3 cup (50 g) sultanas (golden raisins)
1/4 cup (1 3/4 oz) 50 g seedless raisins
1/4 level tsp (1.25 ml) ground all-spice
grated rind of 1 lemon
1. Roll out the pastry to a rectangle measuring about 20.5 x 25.5 cm (8 x 10 inches).
2. Melt the butter, golden syrup and sugar in a pan and stir in the fruit, spice and lemon rind.
3. Spread the fruit mixture on the pastry to within 1 cm (1/2 inch) of the edges.
4. Dampen the edges with milk and roll up like a Swiss roll from the narrow end, sealing the ends well.
5. Place seamside down on a baking sheet. Bake in the oven at 200°C (400°F) mark 6 for about 1 hour until firm and golden.
6. Serve hot in slices topped with brown sugar, with pouring custard separately.