2 aubergines (egg plant), sliced
45 - 60 ml (3-4 tbsps) olive oil
4 medium sized onions, skinned and sliced
1 lb (450 g) minced beef or lamb, raw
4 tomatoes, peeled and sliced
2/3 cup (150 ml) 1/4 pt stock
45 ml (3 level tbsps) tomato paste
3 tbsp (45 ml) milk
3 tbsp (45 ml) cream
salt and pepper
1. Fry the aubergines in half of the oil for about 4 - 5 minutes, then arrange them in the bottom of an ovenproof dish.
2. Fry the onions and meat until lightly browned about 5 minutes.
3. Place layers of onion and minced meat on top of the aubergines and lastly add the slices of tomato.
4. Mix the stock and tomato paste and pour into the dish.
5. Bake in the oven at 180°C (350°F) mark 4 for about 30 minutes.
6. Beat together the eggs, milk and cream, season well and pour this mixture over the meat.
7. Place back into the oven tor 15-20 minutes, until the sauce is set and the mixture is firm and golden brown.
13 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!