500 g sheep's or lamb's liver
3 tbsp plain flour
salt and pepper
800 g (1 3/4 lb) potatoes
2 large onions
fat for greasing
2 cups (500 ml) general household or brown stock
6 rashers streaky bacon, without rinds
1. Remove the skin and tubes from the liver.
2. Season the flour with salt and pepper.
3. Dip each slice of liver in the seasoned flour.
4. Prepare the potatoes and onions and slice them thinly.
5. Arrange layers of liver, onion, and potatoes in a greased casserole, ending with a neat layer of potatoes.
6. Heat the stock and pour in just enough to cover the potatoes. Cover the casserole with a lid.
7. Bake in a moderate oven, 180°C, Gas 4, for about 1 hour or until the liver is tender.
8. Remove the lid and arrange the bacon rashers on top.
9. Continue cooking without a lid until the bacon is crisp.
10. Serve from the casserole.