1. Remove the crusts from the bread, and butter one side of each slice.
2. Trim the ham or bacon and the cheese to fit the bread, and make four sandwiches with a filling of one thin layer of meat and one of cheese.
3. Spread one side of each sandwich with butter.
4. Grease a shallow baking dish or tin, large enough to hold the sandwiches in one layer.
5. Place the tin in the oven, and heat to moderate, 180°C, Gas 4.
6. Place the sandwiches in the hot tin, buttered side up, and return to the oven.
7. Bake for 10 minutes, until golden and crisp on top.