serves 6 - 8
200 g (7 oz) prepared shortcrust pastry
flour for rolling out
1 1/2 tsp gelatine
2 tbsp cold water
4 tbsp milk
1 egg yolk
2 tsp sugar
1/4 tsp salt
a few grains Cayenne pepper
100 g full fat soft cheese
1/4 tsp spoon grated lemon rind
1 tbsp lemon juice
125 ml soured cream
2 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
1. Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface into a round large enough to fit a 20 cm flan ring placed on a baking sheet.
2. Line it with the pastry and bake blind in a fairly hot oven at 200°C, Gas 6, for 15 minutes.
3. Remove the dry filling and flan ring, and bake for a further 10-15 minutes until golden-brown.
4. Leave to cool.
5. Soften the gelatine in the water in a small heatproof container for 2-3 minutes, then place the container over a pan of very hot water, and stir until the gelatine has dissolved.
6. Warm the milk.
7. Whisk the egg yolk, sugar, and seasonings together until light, then stir in the milk and gelatine.
8. Mix thoroughly with the soft cheese, adding the lemon rind and juice.
9. Leave to cool.
10. When cold but not yet set, stir in the soured cream and Parmesan cheese. Re-season if required.
11. Turn the mixture into the flan case, and chill for at least 2 hours.