1. Warm the milk and butter until the butter melts. Do not let it get hot.
2. Mix the yeast and sugar into the milk. Leave for 15 minutes in a warm place until frothy.
3. Put the flour and salt into a bowl, make a well in the centre, and pour in the yeast and milk.
4. Gradually work in the flour from the sides to form a thick batter, the consistency of double cream.
5. Cover and leave to stand in a warm place for 30-35 minutes, until the mixture doubles in size.
6. This makes a crisp, well-flavoured batter, suitable for meat and fish.