Overall timing 30 minutes
Freezing Not suitable
to serve 4 - 6
3 oz (75 g) Butter
1 1/2 pints (850 ml) Light stock
1/4 pint (150 ml) Dry white wine
4 tsp Cornflour
1 1/4 cups Milk
Salt and white pepper
4 oz (125 g) Cheddar cheese
4 oz (125 g) Parmesan cheese
1. Peel and finely chop the onion. Melt the butter in a saucepan, add onion and fry till transparent.
2. Stir in the stock and wine and bring to the boil slowly.
3. Blend the cornflour with a little water and add to the pan, stirring constantly.
4. Bring back to the boil, stirring, and cook for 3 minutes. Add the milk, salt, pepper and grated cheese. Stir over a very low heat till the cheese has completely melted.
5. Taste and adjust seasoning, then pour into a warmed tureen. Serve immediately garnished with lots of croutons.
4 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!