1. If children help make these. they will need adult supervision. Wash and dry the apples then push a lolly stick firmly into the stalk end of each apple. Push it in as far as it will go without coming out the other end. Line
a baking sheet with baking parchment
2. Melt honey in a small pan then set aside.
3. Place the sugar, butter, lemon juice and 5 tbsp water in a deep, heavy-based pan.
4. Heat until the sugar dissolves, then raise the heat and boil rapidly until the mixture reaches 150°C on a sugar thermometer, or test it by dropping a small spoonful into cold water — it should set immediately.
Take care as the sugar syrup will be very hot
5. Carefully dip the apples, holding onto the stick. first into the honey and then into the hot syrup, spooning it over them if necessary, to coat evenly. Shake off any excess drips then place onto baking sheet, end first, and allow to cool and harden.
6. With a steady hand, pipe a cobweb using the black icing pen. Draw a spider with the same pen, then add eyes with the red icing