1. Roll out the pastry and line a flan tin.
2. Bake blind for 15 minutes at 200°C, 400°F, mark 6.
3. Peel and core the apples and put them to cook in a little water and as much sugar as you need to sweeten the type of apple you are using.
4. Stew the apples until soft.
5. Drain well and either mash to a pulp or sieve them.
6. Spread a layer of marmalade over the bottom of the flan pastry.
7. Mix the candied peel in with the apples.
8. If the apples need further sweetening, add more sugar.
9. Spread the apple mixture over the marmalade in the tart.
10. If you wish to put lattice strips over the top, use up any left-over pastry.
11. Bake for 20 - 25 minutes at 190°C (375°F) mark 5. Serve hot or cold.