winter cabbage about 900 g (2 lb) in weight, trimmed
75 g (3 oz) butter or margarine
125 g (4 oz) onions, skinned and finely chopped
50 g (2 oz) celery, trimmed and finely chopped
10 ml (2 tsp) ground coriander
225 g (8 oz) smoked pork sausage, finely chopped
50 g (2 oz) fresh breadcrumbs
30 ml (2 tbsp) chopped parsley
10 ml (2 tsp) lemon juice
1 egg, beaten
salt and freshly ground pepper
a little seasoned stock
1. Using a potato peeler gouge out some of the stem from the cabbage. Cut a 2 cm (3/4 inch) slice off the top. Tie with string around the middle.
2. Bring a pan of salted water to the boil and blanch the cabbage for 8 10 minutes, then run under a cold tap to cool and drain well. Scoop out and reserve the centre of the cabbage leaving a 1 cm (1/2 inch) shell.
3. Melt 50 g (2 oz) butter in a pan and gently fry the onion and celery with the coriander for about 7 minutes until the vegetables are softened. Stir in the sausage with the breadcrumbs, parsley, lemon juice, egg and seasoning.
4. Pack the stuffing well into the cabbage shell. Place in a shallow ovenproof dish with 5 mm (1/4 inch) of stock and a dash of soy sauce. Cover loosely with buttered foil. Bake at 190°C (375°F) mark 5 for about 1 1/4 hours.
5. Lightly boil the reserved cabbage. Drain and toss in the remaining butter. Season well and serve with the stuffed cabbage and baking juices.
2 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!