200 g (7 oz) scant 1 1/2 cups of (WF) flour
55 g (2 oz) 1/2 Cup of sifted icing (confectioners') sugar
A pinch of salt
100 g (3 1/2 oz) 7 tablespoons of Dairy free margarine
1 large free-range egg
for the filling
12 heaped tablespoons of organic ready-made apple puree (sweetened with honey)
3 large free-range egg yolks
Freshly grated nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon of Gluten free mixed (pie) spice
1 small dessert apple, peeled, quartered, cored and sliced very thinly
A little lemon juice
3 x 6-hole non-stick bun trays, each lined with a circle of baking parchment (wax paper)
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F) Gas mark 4
2. Make the pastry by mixing all the ingredients together in a food processor briefly but just enough to gather the dough into a ball.
3. Roll out the pastry on a floured board and cut into large enough circles to fit your bun trays.
4. Press each pastry circle into the prepared trays.
5. Mix the apple puree and egg yolks in a bowl with a little grated nutmeg, cinnamon and mixed (pie) spice.
6. Prepare the apple and brush each slice with a tiny amount of lemon juice.
7. Place about three quarters of a tablespoonful of the apple puree into the centre of each tart.
8. Decorate with one slice of the apple, pressed slightly into the puree.
9. Bake the tarts for 30 minutes, or until the apple is just browned at the edges, the filling is set and the pastry golden.
10. Cool in the trays and then ease them out and onto wire racks.
11. Eat on the day of baking or keep in the refrigerator so that they do not go soggy.