8 oz (225 g) flan pastry
apricot jam or raspberry jelly
3/4 stick + 1 tbsp (3 1/2 oz) 100 g butter
4 oz (100 g) caster suger
2 eggs, beaten
4 oz (100 g) cake crumbs
7/8 cup (100 g) 4 oz ground almonds
a few drops of almond essence
1. Roll out the pastry and use to line a 24-cm (9 1/2-inch) fluted flan tin. Reserve the trimmings. Spread the base with the jam or jelly.
2. Cream together the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy. Beat in the egg, cake crumbs, ground almonds and essence. Spread over the pastry.
3. Decorate with shapes cut from the pastry trimmings.
4. Bake in the oven at 200°C (400°F) mark 6 for 20 minutes. Reduce the oven temperature to 170°C (325°F) mark 3 and bake for a further 30 minutes.
5. Leave the tart to cool in the tin.