Calories per serving 280.
450 g (1 lb) skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite sized chunks
1 onion, chopped
225 g (8 oz) carrots, sliced
350 g (12 oz) potatoes, peeled and diced
4 celery sticks, sliced
1 tablespoon wholegrain mustard
225 g (8 oz) cooking apple, peeled, cored and diced
25 g (1 oz) pearl barley
150 g ml (5 fl oz) medium dry cider
300 ml (10 fl oz) chicken stock
2 sprigs of fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Heat a large flameproof casserole dish and spray with low fat cooking spray.
2. Add the chicken and stir fry for 2 - 3 minutes until it is sealed on all sides.
3. Add the onion, carrots, potatoes and celery to the pan and cook for 7 minutes.
4. Stir in the mustard, cooking apple, pearl barley, cider and stock.
5. Season to taste, add the thyme and bring to the boil.
6. Reduce the heat, and cover Simmer for 1 hour stirring occasionally, until the pearl barley is tender and the apple has cooked to a pulp, thickening the sauce.
5 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!