1 red onion, peeled and thinly sliced
1 tsp olive oil
2 tsp soft brown dark sugar
150 g (3 oz) camembert cheese
2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
scant 1/2 (us) cup (100 ml) double cream
1/2 lemon, juice only
1 tsp fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
1 tsp chives, freshly snipped
4 sheets filo pastry, halved widthways
25 g (1 oz) unsalted butter, melted
salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. In a small frying pan, heat the olive oil.
2. Saute the onion for 2 minutes to soften.
3. Stir in the sugar until melted, then continue to cook gently until caramelised.
4. In a small saucepan, gently bring the cream to simmering point.
5. Stir in the garlic and cheese, until the cheese has melted.
6. Add the lemon juice to the cheese and cook gently for 1-2 minutes.
7. Stir the parsley and chives into the cheese filling mixture and season.
8. Remove the onion and cheese pans from the heat.
9. Separate out each square of filo pastry and brush them with melted butter.
10. Lay four squares of filo on top of each other.
11. Repeat step 10 with the remaining sheets of pastry.
12. With the remaining butter, grease two 7.5cm/3in loose-bottomed fluted tart tins.
13. Gently press the filo pastry into the tins.
14. Spread an bit of the caramelised onion in the base of each tart, then top with a bit of the cheese filling, another bit of the caramelised onion and finally another bit of the cheese filling.
15. Place the tart tins on a baking tray and bake for 4-6 minutes or until bubbling and golden.
16. Serve with a salad.
14 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!