The sun-dried tomatoes and roasted peppers used in this recipe can be bought from delicatessens or some large supermarkets, or you can roast fresh peppers yourself. If possible, use Italian bread or rolls as their texture is particularly suitable for this dish. Chevre is a popular French goat cheese.
Red or white wine goes well with tangy cheese toasts.
Preparation time : 20 minutes,
Cooking time : 3 or 28 minutes with fresh peppers,
Oven : Preheat to 220°C (425°F, gas mark 7),
Calories per serving: 170
5 oz (150 g) goat cheese
2 roasted sliced red peppers in oil or 2 fresh red peppers
1 thin Italian loaf or baguette
2 tablespoons virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons fromage frais
1/2 tablespoon fresh basil or 1/2 teaspoon dried
1/2 tablespoon fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried
1/2 tablespoon fresh marjoram or 1/2 teaspoon dried
2 sliced sun-dried tomatoes in oil
Freshly ground black pepper
for the garnish
1 head radicchio
1 head Little Gem lettuce
3 tablespoons virgin olive oil
2 teaspoons balsamic or white wine vinegar
1. To roast fresh peppers, cook them in the oven for 25 minutes, turning once, until blackened and blistered. Cool under cold, running water and peel the skins. Remove the seeds and cut the flesh into thin strips, then put to one side.
2. Slice the bread into 12 pieces of 1/4 in (5 mm) thickness. Brush one side of each slice with olive oil and toast in the oven to lightly colour both sides.
3. Mix the cheese and fromage frais together with a fork until smooth. Chop the herbs and then mix half the basil, thyme and marjoram in with the cheese.
4. When you are ready to serve, spread the cheese mixture onto the toasted bread and lay thin strips of either sun-dried tomatoes or red peppers diagonally over the cheese. Place the toasts on a baking tray and bake in the preheated oven for about 3 minutes.
5. Sprinkle with the remaining herbs and freshly ground black pepper to taste. If using the garnish, wash, dry and roughly chop the salad greens, sprinkle over with the oil and vinegar, and arrange with the toasts on individual plates and serve.
4 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!