Preparation time 20 minutes,
Cooking time 45 minutes,
Oven temperature 220°C, 425°F, gas 7 180°C, 350°F, gas 4,
Calories 530 per portion
2 small carrots, diced
100 g (4 oz) broccoli, separated into florets
1 small green pepper, deseeded and diced
2 leeks, trimmed and sliced into rings
salt and pepper
100 g (4 oz) Lancashire cheese diced
1 teaspoon dill weed
368 g (13 oz) packet frozen puff pastry, defrosted
beaten egg to glaze
watercress sprig to garnish
1. Cook the prepared vegetables together in boiling salted water for 5 minutes. Drain and plunge into a basin of cold water. Leave for a few minutes in the water, then drain again thoroughly.
2. Mix the vegetables with the cheese, dill weed and seasoning to taste.
3. Roll out the pastry thinly to make a 30 cm/12 in square. Place on a greased baking tray. Spoon the filling into the centre of the square.
4. Brush the edges of the pastry with a little water and bring the four corners to the centre, pinching well to seal. Glaze the pastry with beaten egg and decorate with small pastry shapes.
5. Bake in a hot oven for 15 minutes, then reduce the heat to moderate and cook for a further 30 minutes until golden. Garnish with a sprig of watercress and serve immediately, accompanied with a salad.
Look out for ready-rolled puff pastry, sold frozen in thin sheets, and chilled puff pastry. If you prefer to avoid animal fat in your diet, puff pastry made from vegetable oil is available, and wholemeal puff pastry can also be bought. Any can be used in the above recipe.
7 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!