serves 4 - 6
2 oz (50 g) unsalted butter
4 oz (125 g) plain flour
1/2 oz (15 g) sugar
1 egg yolk
1 (14 oz/397 g) can apricot halves, in natural juice
3 fl oz (90 ml) double cream
1 tbsp caster sugar
few drops vanilla essence
1. Rub the butter into the flour until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
2. Stir in the sugar and then the egg yolk and enough cold water to bind. Knead lightly.
3. Wrap in non PVC film and chill for 30 minutes.
4. Roll out and use to line an 8 inch (20 cm) fluted flan tin. Prick well with a fork. Bake blind at Mark 5 (190°C) 375°F for 15 minutes.
5. Arrange the apricots, cut side uppermost, on the pastry.
6. Bake at Mark 4 (180°C) 350°F for 25 minutes.
7. Beat the cream with the egg, sugar and vanilla essence, pour over the fruit and cook for a further 10 minutes.
8. Serve warm or cold.