1/2 stick (4 Tbsp) 2 oz (50 g) butter
1/4 cup (50 g) 2 oz sugar
1 egg, separated
1/2 oz (15 g) glace cherries, chopped
25 g (1 oz) plain cake crumbs
1/2 oz (15 g) cut mixed peel
1 tsp cornflour
3 tbls (25 g) icing sugar (confectioners sugar), sifted
for the short crust pastry
3/4 cup (100 g) 4 oz plain flour (All purpose)
1.25 ml (1/4 tsp) salt
1/2 stick (4 Tbsp) 2 oz (50 g) margarine (or half butter, half lard)
flour for rolling out
1. Set the oven at 200°c (400°f) gas 6.
2. To make the pastry, sift the flour and salt into a bowl, then rub in the margarine until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add enough cold water to make a stiff dough. Press the dough together with your fingertips.
3. Roll out on a lightly floured surface and use to line twelve 7.5 cm (3 inch) patty tins.
4. In a bowl, cream the butter with the sugar until pale and fluffy. Beat in the egg yolk and add the chopped cherries with the cake crumbs, mixed peel and cornflour. Mix well.
5. Whisk the egg white in a clean, grease free bowl until stiff, then fold lightly into the cherry mixture.
6. Fill the pastry cases and bake for about 20 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
7. Just before serving, sift a little icing sugar over the top of the tartlets.
1 person has helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!