1. Sieve the flour into a bowl and make a well in the centre.
2. Cut the lard and the butter into pieces and put into the well.
3. Pour the boiling water over the fat and stir until it melts, mixing in the flour to make a soft paste.
4. Roll out two-thirds of the pastry and cut 15 cm (6 in) rounds.
5. From the remaining third cut an equal number of smaller circles.
6. Put the gooseberries together with a dessertspoon of brown sugar into the centre of each large round.
7. Cover with the smaller round, turn up the edges and pinch together to form a fluted rim.
8. Glaze and bake at 230°C, 450°F, mark 8 for 10 minutes, then in a moderate oven (180°C, 350°F, mark 4) for a further 20 minutes.
9. Make sure the edges are well sealed or the sugar will leak out and burn.