300 g (12 oz) shortcrust pastry
450 g (1 lb) peaches, fresh or tinned
75 g (3 oz) castor sugar
1 egg white, beaten
blanched almonds, chopped
40 g (1 1/2 oz) butter
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
finely grated rind of 1/2 lemon
1. If the peaches are tinned, drain them well. If fresh, skin them, take out the stones and slice.
2. Put into a pan with the sugar, cinnamon, lemon rind and butter cut into small pieces.
3. Shake gently over a low heat until the peaches begin to soften.
4. Turn gently to mix all the ingredients taking care not to break up the peaches. Allow to cool.
5. Roll out the pastry and line a pie plate. Reserve enough for the lid.
6. Put the peaches in the pie and cover with a lid. Seal the edges well.
7. Glaze with egg white and sprinkle with almonds.
8. Bake at 200°C, 400°F, gas mark 6 for 15 minutes, then reduce the heat to 180°C, 350°F, gas mark 4 and bake for a further 25-30 minutes.