makes 8 scones
110 g (4 oz) potatoes, cooked and sieved
1 cup (110 g) self raising (self rising) flour
3 oz (75 g) lard, or any fat
Good pinch of salt
Good pinch of cayenne pepper
2 tbsp mixed parsley and chives, chopped
1 medium egg, beaten with sufficient milk to make a soft dough
2 oz (50 g) cornflakes, crushed
1. Mix together the sieved potato and flour.
2. Rub in the fat and add the salt, cayenne pepper and herbs.
3. Mix to a soft dough with the egg and milk, but save a little to brush over the top of the scones.
4. Roll out the dough to a 1 cm (1/2 in) thick oblong shape.
5. Sprinkle the crushed cornflakes over the top.
6. Roll the dough up like a large sausage, cut into even slices, flatten slightly with your hand, brush over with a little of the beaten egg and milk.
7. Bake in a hot oven Gas mark 6, 400°F (200°C) for 15 minutes or until nicely risen and golden in colour.
7 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!