A country recipe using some wholewheat flour, Farmhouse fruit cake is a popular cake to bake as it keeps well and even improves with age - if given the chance!
100 g (4 oz) plain flour
Pinch of salt
125 g (5 oz) wholewheat flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp spoon mixed spice
1/2 spoon ground cinnamon
100 g (4 oz) soft brown sugar
100 g (4 oz) butter or margarine
225 g (1/2 lb) mixed dried fruit
50 g (2 oz) chopped mixed peel
2 eggs, beaten
2 tbsp marmalade A little milk (if necessary)
1. Sift the plain flour and salt into a mixing bowl, then stir in the wholewheat flour, baking powder, mixed spice, cinnamon and sugar.
2. Rub in the butter or margarine. Stir in the remaining ingredients and mix well. Stir in a little milk if the mixture seems too stiff.
3. Spoon into a greased 20 cm (8 in) round cake tin lined with greased greaseproof paper.
4. Bake in a warm oven (160°C/325°F or Gas Mark 3) for about 1 1/2 hours or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Cover the top of the cake with greaseproof paper if it begins to become too brown during the cooking.
5. Remove from the oven, take out of the tin and discard the greaseproof paper. Cool on a wire rack, then store in an airtight tin.
86 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!