This is a rich dish which requires few accompaniments. Serve with chopped spinach or a fresh green salad tossed in a sharp vinaigrette dressing.
Butter for frying
1/4 kg (1/2 lb) button mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
4 plaice fillets, skinned
Flour for coating
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
150 ml (1/4 pint) dry white wine
150 ml (1/4 pint) fresh single cream
1 - 2 tbsp freshly chopped parsley to finish
1. Melt a knob of butter in a large frying pan. Add the mushrooms and fry gently for 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from the pan and keep hot.
2. Coat the plaice in flour seasoned with salt and pepper. Melt another knob of butter in the pan and add the fish.
3. Fry quickly until golden on both sides. Add the wine and simmer gently for 10 minutes or until the fish is tender, turning once during the cooking time. Test with a fork: the flesh should flake easily.
4. Return the mushrooms to the pan. Stir in the cream and heat gently. Do not allow to boil or the cream will separate.
5. Transfer the fish to a hot serving platter and pour the sauce over. Sprinkle with chopped parsley and serve immediately.
19 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!