125 g (4 oz) green eating apple, cored and thickly sliced
15 ml (1 tbsp) cider vinegar
2 veal escalopes, about 175 g (6 oz) each
85 g (3 oz) packet full fat soft cheese
1 egg, beaten
50 g (2 oz) dried white breadcrumbs
90-105 ml (6 - 7 tbsp) peanut oil
350 g (12 oz) okra, trimmed
200 ml (7.04 fl oz) carton apple juice
salt and freshly ground pepper
1. Put the apple slices into a bowl with the cider vinegar and toss well to coat.
2. Place the veal escalopes between sheets of cling film.
Beat with a rolling pin until very thin then coat with seasoned flour.
3. Spread one side of one escalope with the cream cheese. Place the other escalope on top and press down well. Slice the veal into 1 cm (1/2 inch) wide strips.
4. Coat again in seasoned flour, dip into the egg and coat in breadcrumbs. Chill well for about 30 minutes.
5. Heat 90 ml (6 tbsp) oil in a wok or large frying pan. Fry the veal slices over a medium heat for 4-5 minutes, until golden brown. Remove with a slotted spoon and keep warm.
6. Add the okra to the pan, adding extra oil if necessary. Fry, stirring, over a medium heat for 3 - 4 minutes then add the apple juice. Bring to the boil and simmer, covered, for about 10 minutes. Stir in the apple slices and vinegar and season.
7. Return the veal strips to the pan. Shake over a high heat for a further 2-3 minutes to heat through. Serve immediately.