175 g (6 oz) dried black eye beans, soaked overnight and drained
450 g (lb lb) jar or can sauerkraut
30 ml (2 tbsp) oil
350 g (12 oz) frankfurter sausages, scored
1 onion, skinned and chopped
425 g (15 oz) can ready to serve chicken soup
150 ml (1/4 pint) cider
1.25 ml (1/4 tsp) dillweed
2.5 ml (1/2 tsp) english mustard
salt and freshly ground pepper
2 eating apples
1. Put the beans into a pan, cover with water and bring to the boil. Lower the heat and simmer for about 40 minutes or until almost tender.
2. Turn the sauerkraut into a pan and boil rapidly for 5 minutes. Drain thoroughly.
3. Heat the oil and fry the sausages until golden. Remove from pan, add the onion and fry until brown.
4. Pour in the soup and cider. Bring to the boil, stir in the beans, sauerkraut, dillweed, mustard and seasonings.
5. Transfer the bean mixture to a wide casserole dish. Place the sausages on top (cut in half, if large), cover and cook at 180°C (350°F) mark 4 for about 45 minutes.
6. Peel and cut apples into chunks, stir into the casserole and continue to cook, covered, for a further 20 minutes.