4 medium kohlrabi
salt and freshly milled white pepper
1 day old bread roll
350 g (12 oz) minced beef
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1 tablespoon chopped parsley
75 g (3 oz) thin, rindless rashers streaky bacon
1. Peel the kohlrabi. Wash and chop the feathery leaves and keep them to one side in a covered dish. Boil the kohlrabi in salted water for 20 minutes, then drain,reserving about 6 tablespoons of the cooking water, and leave them to cool.
2. Cut a lid in the top of each kohlrabi and spoon out the inside. Finely dice the insides.
3. Soften the roll in cold water. Finely chop the onion. Squeeze excess moisture from the roll.
4. Mix the minced meat with the chopped kohlrabi, the onion and the roll and season with salt, pepper and paprika. Work in the chopped kohlrabi leaves, the parsley and the egg.
5. Arrange the kohlrabi in a buttered ovenproof dish, fill each one with the minced meat mixture and cover the kohlrabi with the lids. Top each kohlrabi with 2 rashers of bacon.
6. Pour the reserved stock into the dish and bake in a moderately hot oven (200°C, 400°F, gas 6) for 25 minutes.