Escalopes of veal with slices of ham topped with Gruyere cheese and coated in egg and breadcrumbs is quite a tricky dish to prepare. Try to make the ham and cheese slices as near to the size of the escalopes as possible, and press them well together before coating in the egg and breadcrumb mixture.
4 veal escalopes (approx. 100 g (4 oz) each), beaten
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
4 slices Gruyere cheese
4 slices cooked ham
1 egg, beaten
100 g (4 oz) dried breadcrumbs
Vegetable oil and butter for frying
4 lemon wedges
1. Season the veal well with salt and pepper. Lay a slice of cheese on top of each slice of veal, and then a slice of ham, pressing down well.
2. Brush with beaten egg, then coat with the breadcrumbs, ensuring that the escalopes are thoroughly coated. Chill in the refrigerator for 10 minutes.
3. Heat a spoon of oil and knob of butter in a large frying pan. Add two escalopes and cook for 10 to 15 minutes or until golden-brown, turning once during the cooking time.
4. Drain on absorbent kitchen paper and keep hot while cooking the remaining escalopes in more oil and butter.
5. Arrange the escalopes on a hot serving platter. Garnish with lemon wedges and parsley sprigs and serve.
7 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!