Jam roly-poly makes a marvellous warming pud for the family and, apart from the long steaming, is very quick to prepare. Serve with hot custard.
Insert a caption here
serves 3 to 4
100 g (4 oz) self-raising flour
Pinch of salt
50 g (2 oz) shredded beef suet
2 - 3 tbsp hot water
8 tbsp jam
1. Sift the flour and salt into a mixing bowl. Stir in the suet, then gradually stir in the hot water until the dough comes together and leaves the sides of the bowl.
2. Knead until smooth, then roll out on a floured board to an oblong about 3/4 cm (1/4 in) thick.
3. Spread half of the jam along the dough, leaving a margin round the sides. Roll up like a Swiss roll from one of the short sides, pinching and sealing the edges with a little water.
4. Wrap loosely in greased foil or a double thickness of greaseproof paper. Seal well.
5. Place in the top of a steamer over rapidly boiling water and steam for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, topping up the water level from time to time during cooking.
6. Just before serving the roly-poly, heat the remaining jam in a small pan. When the roly-poly is cooked, remove from the steamer, unwrap the foil or greaseproof paper and transfer the pudding to a hot serving dish.
7. Pour over the warmed jam and serve immediately.
1 person has helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!