Homemade fish cakes are quite delicious. Serve with lemon wedges and parsley butter.
makes 4 cakes.
1/4 kg (1/2 lb) filleted white or smoked fish, cooked, skinned and flaked
1/4 kg (1/2 lb) potatoes, boiled and mashed
1 tsp spoon lemon juice
1 tbsp freshly chopped parsley
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 tbsp milk, if necessary
Vegetable oil for frying
1 egg, beaten
50 g (2 oz) dried breadcrumbs
1. In a mixing bowl combine the fish, potatoes, lemon juice, parsley and seasoning to taste, binding the mixture with the milk if too dry. On a floured board, shape the mixture into four cakes.
2. Dip the cakes into the beaten egg, ensuring that they are evenly coated, then coat in the breadcrumbs.
3. Heat the oil gently in a deep-fat fryer until it is hot enough to turn a stale bread cube golden in 20 to 30 seconds (180 - 190°C (350 - 375°F) on a deep-frying thermometer).
4. Lower the cakes, two at a time, into the hot oil, increase the heat and fry until golden-brown on all sides. Drain on absorbent kitchen paper and serve immediately.
5. The fish cakes may also be shallow fried in equal quantities of butter and oil for 5 to 7 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
4 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!