1 x 200g (7 oz) acorn squash or other type of squash, peeled, deseeded and cut into 4 wedges
1 tsp rapeseed or vegetable oil
100 g (3 1/2 oz), peeled weight, onion, finely chopped
1 tsp crushed garlic
70 g (2 1/2 oz) three-grain risotto mix (baldo rice, spelt and pearl barley - this is available ready-mixed)
600 ml (1 pint) vegetable stock
235 g (8 1/4 oz) asparagus tips
2 tbsp finely chopped fresh marjoram, plus extra to garnish
3 tbsp 0% fat fromage frais
2 tbsp finely chopped fresh parsley
freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas Mark 6. Spread out the squash wedges on a nonstick baking tray and roast in the oven for 20 minutes, or until tender and golden brown.
2. Meanwhile, heat the oil in a medium saucepan over a high heat, add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring, until softened but not coloured. Add the risotto mix and stir in half the stock. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until the stock has reduced in the pan. Pour in the remaining stock and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until the grains are tender.
3. Cut 175 g (6 oz) of the asparagus into 10 cm (4 inch) lengths and blanch in a saucepan of boiling water for 2 minutes. Drain and keep warm. Cut the remaining asparagus into 5-mm (1/4 inch) slices and add to the risotto for the last 3 minutes of the cooking time.
4. Remove the risotto from the heat and stir in the marjoram, fromage frais and parsley. Season with pepper. Do not reboil.
5. To serve, lay the squash wedges on warmed serving plates, then spoon over the risotto and top with the asparagus. Garnish with marjoram.
¢â‚¬Â¢ The three-grain risotto mix is available from most quality food shops and is ready-prepared, so it needs no presoaking or precooking. If you cannot readily find it, substitute 35 g (1 1/4 oz) risotto rice and 35 g (1 1/4 oz) pearl barley, precooked for 20 minutes.
34 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!