1. Wash chicken thoroughly. Scrape or peel celeriac and cut carrots into julienne strips.
2. Rinse cauliflower and break into florets.
3. Peel onions and garlic.
4. Cover fowl with cold water and bring to the boil, skimming off scum as it forms.
5. Add salt, peppercorns, and any whole pieces of celeriac and carrot, onions, garlic and quartered tomato to fowl and simmer for 1 hour.
6. Cook peas, cauliflower florets and julienne strips, covered, in small amount of water for 10 minutes, then strain.
7. Cook vermicelli for 3 minutes in 500 ml (16 fl oz) 2 cups boiling water and drain.
8. Remove chicken from stock, separate meat from skin and bones, cut into small cubes and place with vermicelli and vegetables in a tureen.
9. Strain the soup over this mixture and serve.