4 chicken thighs, boned
2 garlic cloves, crushed
200 ml (7 fl oz) 3/4 cup red wine
3 tbsp white wine vinegar
1 tbsp oil
15 g (1/2 oz) 1 tbsp butter
3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
2 tbsp fresh thyme salt and pepper
cooked polenta or rice, to serve
1. Using a sharp knife, make a few slashes in the skin of the chicken. Brush the chicken with the crushed garlic and place in a non-metallic dish.
2. Pour the wine and white wine vinegar over the chicken and season with salt and pepper to taste. Cover and leave to marinate in the refrigerator overnight.
3. Remove the chicken pieces with a perforated spoon, draining well, and reserve the marinade.
4. Heat the oil and butter in a frying pan (skillet). Add the shallots and cook for 2 - 3 minutes or until they begin to soften.
5. Add the chicken pieces to the pan and cook for 3 - 4 minutes, turning, until browned all over. Reduce the heat and add half of the reserved marinade. Cover and cook for 15 - 20 minutes, adding more marinade when necessary.
6. Once the chicken is tender, add the balsamic vinegar and thyme and cook for a further 4 minutes.
7. Transfer the chicken and marinade to serving plates and serve with polenta or rice.
To make the chicken pieces look a little neater, use wooden skewers to hold them together or secure them with a length of string.
6 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!