500 g (1 lb) boneless lean lamb, minced
50 g (2 oz) crustless bread
300 ml (1/2 pint) milk
15 g (1/2 oz) lard or dripping
1 large onion, finely chopped
2 teaspoons curry powder
2 teaspoons sugar
2 teaspoons lemon juice
50 g (2 oz) sultanas
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 eggs, beaten
25 g (1 oz) flaked almonds
1. Heat the oven to 190°C (375°F) Gas 5.
2. Put the bread into a bowl and pour over the milk. Leave to soak.
3. Meanwhile, melt the lard in a large frying-pan, add the onion and fry gently until soft. Stir in the curry powder, sugar and lemon juice and cook for 1 - 2 minutes, stirring.
4. Squeeze the milk from the bread, reserving the milk. Beat the bread with a fork to break it up.
5. Add the meat and bread to the onion mixture and cook until the meat is well browned. Stir in the sultanas and salt; remove from heat.
6. Add a quarter of the beaten eggs to meat mixture and pour into a greased ovenproof dish. Level the surface, then bake for 30 minutes.
7. Meanwhile, beat the reserved milk into the remaining eggs.
8. Lower the oven heat to 180C/350F/Gas 4. Drain away fat from the lamb, then pour over the egg mixture. Scatter the almonds on top and cook for 30 minutes.