Preparation time 30 minutes,
Cooking time 25 - 30 minute,s
Oven temperature 190°C, 375°F, gas 5,
Total calories 3875
makes 1 cake
100 g (4 oz) caster sugar
100 g (4 oz) plain flour, sifted
25 g (1 oz) cocoa powder, sifted
2 tablespoons brandy
for the filling and topping
450 ml (3/4 pint) double cream
2 tablespoons sweetened strong black coffee
1 teaspoon cocoa powder
1 teaspoon instant coffee powder
2 - 3 teaspoons hot water
175 g (6 oz) icing sugar, sifted
grated chocolate to decorate
1. Grease a loose-bottomed 20 cm (8 in) deep round cake tin. Whisk the sugar and eggs together until pale and thick.
2. Carefully fold in the sifted flour and cocoa powder. Pour into the cake tin and bake in a moderately hot oven for 15 - 20 minutes. Turn out onto a wire rack.
3. When cool, split in half horizontally and sprinkle over the brandy.
4. Whip the cream and black coffee until stiff. Place a star nozzle in a piping bag and fill the bag with the coffee cream. Pipe swirls over one half of the cake, place on a serving plate and top with the other half. Pipe the remainder of the cream around the top of the gateau.
5. Dissolve the cocoa and coffee in the water, then mix with the icing sugar to make glace icing. Spread on top of the cake up to the piped cream border. Decorate with grated chocolate.
This gateau can be frozen successfully without the glace icing. Open freeze until firm then wrap carefully in a large polythene bag. Unwrap and place on a serving plate to defrost.
6 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!