225 g (8 oz) haricot beans
1.25 litres (2 1/4 pints) water
2 green peppers
1 small bunch of herbs, for example parsley, chives, thyme
2 cloves garlic
2 tablespoons oil
450 g (1 lb) beef tomatoes
241 g (8 1/2 oz) smoked pork sausage
salt and freshly milled white pepper
1 generous pinch of cayenne
1 pinch of sugar
2 tablespoons chopped chives to garnish
1. Rinse the beans in cold water and soak them in the 1.25 litres (2 1/4 pints) of water for 12 hours. Then cook the beans in the soaking water for 1 1/2 - 2 hours over a low heat, adding more boiling water as necessary.
2. Halve the peppers, remove the core and seeds, wash and cut into strips. Dice the onions. Wash, trim and chop the herbs. Finely dice the garlic.
3. Heat the oil in a large pan and fry the onion, garlic and herbs. Add the peppers and beans. Stir well, cover the pan and simmer for a further 20 minutes.
4. Peel and chop the tomatoes and add them to the pan.
5. Slice the sausages and warm them through in the soup. Finally season to taste with the salt, pepper, paprika and sugar and sprinkle with chives.