Remember, Pastry is only as good as the flour you use. Don't buy cheap flour.
2 1/4 cup (250 g) plain flour (All purpose)
120 g (4 oz) cocoa powder
3 tsp vanilla essence
1/2 tsp salt
2/3 cup (130 g) caster sugar (superfine granulated)
2/3 cup (150 g) butter, softened
1. Blend the butter, sugar, salt and vanilla in a food processor for 30 seconds until creamy. Add the cocoa and process for about 1 minute, until well blended.
2. Put all the flour in and with the pulse button process for 10 - 15 seconds until the flour is well blended.
3. Scrape the pastry out on to a sheet of clingfilm and shape into a flat circle. Wrap and refrigerate.
4. Soften the pastry for 10 - 15 minutes at room temperature. Unwrap and sandwich between two large pieces of clingfilm.
5. Roll out to about 1/2 cm (1/4 inch) thick. Peel off the top sheet and invert into a greased flan tin. Ease on to the bottom and sides of the tin, then remove the bottom layer of clingfilm. Press the pastry around the pan, then roll the rolling pin over the top of the tin to cut off any excess pastry. Prick the base of the pastry with a fork and refrigerate 1 hour.
6. Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C) gas mark 6. Bake blind for 10 minutes.
7. Remove the paper or foil and beans and continue baking for 5 more minutes until just set. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
62 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!