3 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, chopped
1 celery stalk,chopped
1 carrot, chopped
1 - 2 garlic cloves, crushed
125 g (4 oz) chicken livers
125 g (4 oz) calf's, lamb's or pig's liver
150 ml (1/4 pint) 2/3 cup red wine
1 tbsp tomato puree (paste)
2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
3 - 4 canned anchovy fillets, chopped finely
2 tbsp stock or water
30 - 45 g (1 - 1 1/2 oz) 2 - 3 tbsp butter
1 tbsp capers
salt and pepper
small pieces of fried crusty bread, to serve
chopped parsley, to garnish
1. Heat the oil in a pan, add the onion, celery, carrot and garlic, and cook gently for 4-5 minutes or until the onion is soft, but not coloured.
2. Meanwhile, rinse and dry the chicken livers. Dry the calf's or other liver, and slice into strips. Add the liver
to the pan and fry gently for a few minutes until the strips are well sealed on all sides.
3. Add half the wine and cook until mostly evaporated. Then add the rest of the wine, tomato puree (paste), half the parsley, the anchovy fillets, stock or water, a little salt and plenty of black pepper.
4. Cover the pan and simmer for 15 - 20 minutes or until tender and most of the liquid has been absorbed.
5. Cool the mixture a little, then either coarsely mince or put into a food processor and process to a chunky puree.
6. Return to the pan and add the butter, capers and remaining parsley Heat through gently until the butter melts. Adjust the seasoning and turn into a bowl.
7. Serve warm or cold spread on the slices of crusty bread and sprinkled with chopped parsley.
3 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!