2 tbsp (30 ml) olive oil
2 onions, peeled and finely chopped
4-6 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
1 lb (450 g) ripe tomatoes, peeled and chopped
4 tbsp (60 ml) dry white wine
1 tsp (5 ml) sugar salt and pepper
2 tbsp (30 ml) chopped fresh parsley
2 x 200 g (7 oz) cans or jars baby clams in brine, drained
400 g (14 oz) fettuccine or other thin pasta
1. Heat the oil in a medium saucepan and gently fry the onion and garlic for 5 minutes until softened but not browned
2. Add the chopped tomatoes, wine, sugar and salt and pepper and simmer gently for 15 minutes.
3. Stir in the drained clams and 15 ml (1 tbsp) parsley.
4. Simmer gently for 2-3 minutes until hot, stirring occasionally.
5. Taste and adjust the seasoning.
6. Meanwhile cook the fettuccine in a large pan of lightly salted boiling water for 8-10 minutes until al dente.
7. Thoroughly drain the fettuccine and turn it into a warmed serving dish.
8. Pour over the clam sauce.
9. Sprinkle with the remaining chopped parsley, then serve immediately, with extra black pepper to taste.
7 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!