75 ml (5 tbsp) soy sauce
15 ml (1 tbsp) light brown sugar
15 ml (1 tbsp) rice vinegar
30 ml (2 tbsp) dry sherry
juice of 1 orange
5 cm (2 in) strip of orange peel
1 star anise
5 ml (1 tsp) cornflour
50 ml (2 fl oz) cup water
15 ml (1 tbsp) chopped fresh root ginger
5 ml (l tsp) chilli-garlic sauce, to taste
1.5 kg (3 - 3 1/2 lb) chicken wings, tips removed
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/ Gas 6. Mix the soy sauce, sugar, vinegar, sherry, orange juice and peel and anise in a pan. Bring to the boil.
2. Combine the cornflour and water in a small bowl and stir until blended. Add to the boiling soy sauce mixture, stirring well. Boil for another minute, stirring constantly.
3. Remove the soy sauce mixture from the heat and stir in the ginger and chilli-garlic sauce.
4. Arrange the chicken wings, in one layer, in a large baking dish. Pour over the soy sauce mixture and stir to coat the wings evenly.
5. Bake in the centre of the oven for 30 - 40 minutes until the chicken wings are tender and browned, basting occasionally. Serve the chicken wings either hot or warm.