500 g (18 oz) frozen chicken giblets
1.5 litres (3 pt) 6 cups water
1 tsp salt
Mixed root vegetables
2 small onions
200 g (7 oz) chicken breast, boned
3/4 cup (90 g) button mushrooms
2 tbsp (1 oz) 25 g butter
1 tbsp curry powder
Pinch cayenne pepper
1. Place the unwrapped chicken giblets in a sieve over a bowl to thaw, throwing away any water that collects in the process.
2. Wash the giblets thoroughly, place in a saucepan, cover with the water and bring to the boil. Remove any scum as it forms.
3. Add salt and vegetables and simmer gently for 1 hour.
4. Meanwhile, peel and finely chop onions, cut chicken breasts into thin strips, clean and slice mushrooms.
5. Heat butter in heavy skillet and fry chopped onion gently with chicken strips, turning frequently, until both are done.
6. Add sliced mushrooms and fry 1 minute longer, then stir in curry powder and cayenne pepper.
7. Strain chicken stock over chicken strips and vegetables and keep hot.
8. Rinse chives before chopping finely and sprinkling over soup.