675 g (1 1/2 lb) stewing steak, cubed
225 g (8 oz) ox kidney, cut into small even-sized pieces
2 tbsp flour
salt and pepper
25 g (1 oz) butter
2 tbsp oil
2 onions, chopped
100 g (4 oz) mushrooms, sliced
200 ml (7 fl oz) dry red wine
200 ml (7 fl oz) beef stock
1 bay leaf
350 g (12 oz) shortcrust pastry
1 egg, beaten, to glaze
1. Mix the flour with seasoning.
2. Coat the steak and kidney in seasoned flour.
3. Put butter and oil in a large pan, add onion and fry for 5 mins until soft.
4. Add meat and saute for 5 mins until browned.
5. Stir in mushrooms. Add stock, wine and bay leaf, and bring to the boil. Cover and simmer for 1 1/2 - 2 hours or until meat is tender, stirring occasionally. Leave to cool.
6 Preheat oven 200°C/400°F/gas 6. Add . meat mixture to pie dish. Roll out pastry 2.5 cm (1 in) larger than the top of the dish. Cut off 1 cm (1/2 inch) strip from outer edge to line dampened rim of dish.
7. Dampen pastry rim and cover with pastry lid. Trim and seal edge. Make small slashes in lid to allow steam to escape during cooking. Decorate with pastry leaves, brush with beaten egg and bake for 20 mins. Reduce heat to 180°C (350°F) gas 4 and bake for a further 20 mins or until crust is golden.
Wash kidneys and remove membrane and hard fat from inside before cooking.
3 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!