For a prettier effect, score grooves along the length of the carrot with a sharp knife before slicing. This will create a flower effect as the carrot is cut into rounds. You could also try slicing the carrot on the diagonal to make longer slices.
200 g (7 oz) tofu (bean curd)
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 carrot, sliced thinly
1 cm (1/2 inch) piece ginger root, cut into thin shreds
3 spring onions (scallions), sliced diagonally
1.2 litres (2 pints) 5 cups vegetable stock
2 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp dry sherry
1 tsp sugar
125 g (4 1/2 oz) 1 1/2 cups cos (romaine) lettuce, shredded
salt and pepper
1. Using a sharp knife, cut the tofu (bean curd) into small cubes.
2. Heat the vegetable oil in a preheated wok or large saucepan, add the tofu (bean curd) and stir-fry until browned. Remove with a perforated spoon and drain on kitchen paper (paper towels).
3. Add the carrot, ginger root and spring onions (scallions) to the wok or saucepan and stir-fry for 2 minutes.
4. Add the vegetable stock, soy sauce, sherry and sugar. Stir well to mix all
the ingredients. Bring to the boil and simmer for 1 minute.
5. Add the cos (romaine) lettuce to the wok or saucepan and stir until it has just wilted.
6. Return the tofu (bean curd) to the pan to reheat. Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve the soup immediately in warmed bowls.
1 person has helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!